Car Crash Information
Car Crash App
Students use the app to take measurements and decide whether the driver is to blame for the crash. If the driver is telling the truth they should not be to blame for the crash. If they are lying, they are to blame.
- Skid marks on the ground show that the driver used the brakes for a distance of 12.8m.
- Based on the damage done during the crash, the final velocity was 3.5m/s.
- The driver was caught on two traffic cameras at 80m and 110m. They used the images to construct a simulation of the drive.
- “I was driving at the speed limit of 45mph (20m/s) until I passed the yield sign.”
- “As I passed the yield sign I saw the parked car and I hit the brakes are hard as I could” (For the type of car involved, the brakes can slow the car with an acceleration of -30m/s/s.)